Saturday, October 03, 2009

I May Never Stop Reading

Nobody knows the trouble I've seen.

Nobody knows my sorrow...

Actually, that's not true. I just was sitting here remembering that old song and thought I'd type it in.

Sorry.

I've got things to do and I'm not doing any of them.

I started reading Pat Conroy's new book, South of Broad and I don't want to stop. I never want to put it down. I don't want to eat or anything else. I just want to soak in the deep pool of his writing.

If you've never read any of his work, than you have truly missed out.

His writing is:

Beautifully detailed.

His writing is so incredibly Southern that I find myself reading the accent of each character.

The tragic moments are so heartbreaking, that I find myself utterly undone.

Few writers have shocked me the way Pat Conroy does. I seldom see it coming and then I'm left shattered and wondering how the main character will ever recover. I'm serious. No amount of psycho babble would cure me.

And sometimes the tale is so sad that I find myself hysterical, grieving as if their sorrow were my own.

Ahem...

That being said, I have never seen one of the movies that his stories have been adapted from. I can't do it. In my mind I see the character. I feel their anguish or rapture. I become a part of the story.

Sigh...

He's a wonderful writer.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to my reading...err..I mean housework.

Disclaimer: Pat Conroy is not a Christian writer. Be warned.

3 comments:

That Janie Girl said...

I LOVED that book. It was awesome, and clearly one of the best I've read in a long while.

Patti said...

pat conroy is a genius. love him...

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite movies was "Prince of Tides" - I think that was Pat Conroy right?