Thursday, June 14, 2012

Cultural Differences



A funny thing happened while I was just minding my own sweet business.


The phone rang. It does that sometimes. On the other end was a friend I had made at my previous employer. She's a giggly, blondie, tiny woman whose smile is simply infectious. I've never heard a bad word come out of her mouth. She's a gem.


Over the years, she and her husband have provided housing for nearly thirty foreign students, most of which have been Islamic. I distinctly remember telling her how I would be so afraid to open my home to strangers. Especially Muslims. I'm just a sissy that way.


I seemed to have that narrow-minded view that they are out to kill all of us. Which is true in some circles. So imagine what I said when my friend phoned me and asked if we could take in a young woman from Syria for ten weeks this summer. And could we decide quickly, because she'll be here on Sunday.


I laughed a little and said that my Beloved is a little funny about strangers living in his house. I told her I'd ask him and get back to her.


And then a funny thing happened....


Beloved and I agreed that we could, that we should, that we would be happy to open our homes and lives to this complete stranger.


That was Tuesday.


She arrives late Sunday.


I am excited, but concerned that I will make some stupid "American" mistake and offend her. I'm looking forward to learning about her country and her beliefs. Mostly, I'm hoping to make a new friend and hope she is too.


I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Island Rider said...

You will do well. Honesty, communication, lacking questions, listening will serve you well. Remember she may have fears and misgivings about you! What a great way to share Christ by being His hands and feet to one who does not know Him.