Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Lent: Week Two

Here we are two weeks into Lent. One very surprising thing has happened: I haven't shared with anyone what I gave up for Lent. Seriously, I do lurve to talk...but I've kept a lid on it and in some instances that's been a challenge too.

Beloved on the other hand spilled the beans. In his defense he didn't realize that I was keeping it a secrety-secret. Truly, it's not a big deal. It's not an earth shattering thing, I just don't want to seem like a martyr or give myself the slightest notion that I can whine about how hard it is to give up X.

Is anyone else like me? Wanting affirmation or pity or crap...Why isn't God's approval enough?

What isn't surprising is that I haven't been as "devout" as I thought I woulda, coulda, shoulda been. My Bible reading was kinda hit and miss last week...okay, it was more miss than hit. My prayer life was okay, but I have found myself slipping back into one bad habit: praying in bed before I go to sleep.

Now, don't judge me! You've done it too! You're all snuggled under the blankets and praying for this or that, thanking God for all that you have, asking to be forgiven because you're a big doof (translate that as chief sinner and all around selfish pig)....when you wake up the next morning.....

I know how to rectify the situation and have implemented a new nightly prayer plan. We'll see how it goes.

Thus far, I think that Lent has been at least a moderate success. I've kept my promise to God and not dabbled in X. I'm more aware of God in my everyday life, or at least I'm realizing that He wants to spend time with me before I start snoring. I am actually reading my Bible...for the most part. And, I'm learning some new things about God and myself.

I'm also starting to envy my Catholic buddies who can celebrate (not sure if that is the right word) Mass every day which I'm certain helps to keep them on track.

On a related side note: we may have found a new church. The jury is still out.

So, the two week Lent wrap up is this: I didn't do as well as I could have, but I didn't faultier on my sacrifice.

And there are still four weeks left.

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak!

No comments: