Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Lent: A Protestant Perspective

From my understanding, Lent is the period of the liturgical year leading up to Easter. It is a time of sacrifice for Jesus Christ. The purpose of Lent it to prepare the believer for Holy Week, which ends with the celebration of the Resurrection of Christ at Easter. 


Through prayer, self examination, sacrifice, and repentance the believer gains a better understanding of who they are and who Christ is in them. 


I've always been intrigued by Lent. I have friends, both Catholic and Protestant who participate each year. Because I feel it's a personal journey I have never asked all those in-depth questions that stir round my mind about Lent. 


Did you actually stick to your sacrifice?
Did you pray more?
Did you read more?
What did you come away with?


This year, beginning today actually, I've decided to take part in the reflection and tradition of Lent. 


Is this blasphemy? I mean, I'm not Catholic...


Because, as I mentioned above, I feel that this must be a personal journey, I won't be sharing what my sacrifice is. Instead, I hope to share with you what I am learning along the way. I must admit that I am excited about the focus my life will take for the next forty days. 


It does seem that this is a time of change in our home. We may have found a new church, there are employment changes coming and spring is nearly upon us. I feel a sense of anticipation, like a small child does at Christmas time, to see what things are revealed to me. 


I have decided to focus on Faith and lay aside my study of Purpose. Here is today's verse from Psalm 143: 5-9:



I remember the days of old; I meditate on all Your works; I muse on the work of Your hands. I spread out my hands to You; my soul longs for You like a thirsty land. Answer me speedily, O Lord; my spirit fails! Do not hide Your face from me, lest I be like those who go down into the pit. Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning, for in You do I trust; cause me to know the way in which I should walk, for I left up my soul to you. Deliver me, O Lord, from my enemies; in You I take shelter.


We have a choice each day: we can be pulled down by the worries and cares of this world -or- we can focus on the love of God and His plan for our lives. 

1 comment:

patti said...

how could focusing on our lord and savior ever be blasphemy?!

i pray your lenten participation is all that god desires for you.