Thursday, April 29, 2010

Vanity

Well, all the hype about my losing an eye and my face turning into a red, swollen, ugly troll like vision has passed. I didn't develop so much as a single blister. This is all due to the fast action of Dr. Goodnews and my willing obedience to do exactly what she told me to do.

Other than being a little scaly, I look pretty darn normal. Just ask anyone who has seen me in the last day and they'll say I marvelous dahling!

Aww shucks, it's nothing that a thick coat of moisturizer and Bare Minerals couldn't handle.

Oh vanity of vanities!

In other non-vanity news; I've finished training two new employees. Okay, I've pretty much finished training one of them, and let me just say for the record that she is the bomb baby! The other one, well, not so much. Which makes me sad.

The second trainee didn't finish her homework. She struggled from day one with some of the material. There were times it seemed as if she wasn't paying attention. I started to wonder if it was me. Then I noticed a couple of minor details.

She's easily distracted.

Sometimes, if she doesn't know what to do, she'll kinda wander off.

She, very occasionally, claps when stressed.

Wait! I've seen this behavior before.

I'm no doctor, but I would be willing to bet she's ADD.

Eureka!

Knowing this gives me a new approach to helping her be all that she can be. It means that I need to be a little more patient. More understanding. I'll need to keep her focused and minimize distractions.

The problem with all this, is that I have a job to do and, frankly, so does she. How do I help her when she doesn't finish assignments? I've given her extra time, I've offered extra help, and when I didn't know what else to do I pushed her a little.

I know you might be thinking that the training couldn't be that intense. After all, I work at a gym, right? Let me just say, there is way more than you could ever imagine. Way more! More anatomy. More psychology. There is more to sales and service than you know.

It's a lot to take in. A lot to memorize. I get it. I've been there and I remember feeling like I couldn't/wouldn't make the cut. It was rough, but I did it.

I just don't know if this trainee will make it and I'm not sure I can do any more for her. That makes me sad for both of us and in a weird way, wounds my ego.

This is my first assignment as Staff Trainer and I wanted it to be perfect. I wanted my trainee's to be two of the best that my club had ever seen. Yeah, cause it's all about me...

Oh vanity of vanities!

5 comments:

tootie said...

So glad your eye is ok!

P.S. I like your blog's new look!

Island Rider said...

Glad your eye is okay. My advice about employee? Not to stereotype, but don't let her get beyond probation. I am dealing with a similar situation and because I had hope and thought she just needed more time, I am stuck with her until I can go through our disciplinary procedures which are a pain in the neck. Just say no!!!!!

Darrell Michaels said...

I also am glad that the scare with your eye has passed! Thank God!

As for your one trainee, I must agree with Island Rider, and for the same reasons.

If this behaviour continues, will she have ADD momement when she is dealing with clients at the gym too? (yes)

Do your customers there deserve the excellent attention that you and your other new trainee give them? (yes)

If allowed to continue on this course, will your time spent "counseling" and "helping" this other failing trainee take up an inordinate amount of your time that can be used for more productive ends for the gym and your clients? (yes)

You have a great heart in wanting to help this person, but if she is not willing/able to pay attention then perhaps this is not the correct job for her. Give her an ulitimatum to pay attention or move on to something else.

Be tough and lacking in compassion for the greater good, ma'am. (Pretend you are me dealing with a Laker fan, for instance! :) )

Sorry for the unsolicited advice, my friend. Just trying to help.

Travis Erwin said...

Just the fact you identified these things about her makes it lots more likely you'll get her on task.

Kristen said...

We're not about giving up on people at our club. Annie, you've done a great job with her, and she has a lot of potential and great qualities that will add value to our team. They can't all be as wonderful as you! :)