Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Patio of My Dreams

Since the yard is killing me coming together nicely we decided that we will have a family BBQ in August. That gives me one month to wrap things up in the jungle. I really, really thought I could pull this off. The front looks pretty good and I knew the back still needed work…But…

I didn’t realize to what extent. Oi! I am cleaning off the back patio which has housed, and no I’m not kidding, various tools, two bikes, a ladder, an old stove (seriously) and old sink (yep, same one that came out of our bathroom after the remodel LAST YEAR)…

I cannot believe I am telling you this.

Also residing on the patio is a broken chair, a play kitchen, two tiny yellow chairs (for the wee girls) and a tiny purple pool (also for the wee girls). There is a pile of lumber, a generator, a fencepost, a chainsaw (in it’s case), a red wagon, and one small, blue water storage tank. Oh, and I almost forgot, the white, plastic fencing stuff that FIL is “using” as railing for the upper deck.

Shouldn’t it BE on the upper deck? I mean, since it’s HIS project, shouldn’t he store HIS crap on HIS deck? I’m just sayin’.

So, I dug in and spent only thirty minutes hauling stuff to the greenhouse, the burn pile, and the shed. I still need to make a trip to the barn and a trip to the dump, but it’s looking so great! I hauled FIL plastic railing stuff up to his deck as well as his table that my Beloved “borrowed” and never put back.

Men!

The trick, though, is going to be getting FIL to move his lumber and his generator. Maybe I won’t ask. Maybe I’ll just move it to the barn and not tell him. Maybe he won’t notice. Hmmm….

I am ultra excited to get this cleaned up for a couple of reasons. First, it looked horrible and I hate that! Second, we are getting a new washer on Thursday (and such a deal we got!). Finally, I’m going to buy some patio furniture from the writer! She was going to sell it at her garage sale, but I told her I want it!

Finally, after fourteen years the patio is going to look the way I want it to! No more fighting with FIL and MIL (God rest her soul) isn’t here to tell me she needs to store something there so it will be out of the weather. Ha! It only took a little over a decade, but it is finally happening. I’m going to have a place to drink tea in the cool of the morning. I will be surrounded by my beautiful plants and it will be peaceful and a great place for that BBQ in August.

3 comments:

Sandcastle Momma said...

It sounds like that hard work is really going to pay off. I can't wait to see pictures!

Patti said...

don't ask...do! it's a proven method.

Barrie said...

I love a tidied-up backyard. I just bought a few new plants and am so happy!