Sunday, March 01, 2009

My Evil Twin Sistah

I sat at the table feeling slightly out of my element. Not that anyone had said or done anything to make me feel that way, but the facts were glaringly obvious. I was surrounded by writers; published, successful, writers. My resume, which is short, sweet and not terribly impressive, stared at me and shook it’s sad, tiny head. If only I’d written more…

I listened as they talked shop. I smiled at their jokes and tried to wrap my mind around zooming off to New York to meet with a publisher or promote my latest literary achievement. I looked at our hostess, the beautiful, talented, and amazing, Jane Porter. She was so gracious, so very real and I was sitting at her table watching her smile and connect with the other women there.

Was I dreaming?

Sending an email to Jane and asking to schlep along with my best friend and published author, Teri Brown to Jane’s pre-book signing dinner party is something that I considered bold, yes, even brash. After all, Jane is living the dream! She’s successful (and beautiful). Why would she want someone like me, a no body to join her for drinks and dinner. Why?

After meeting her last night, I know it’s because she’s wonderful. She’s real. Some days she stays in her PJ’s all day. I don’t believe she walks on water…

There were other readers at the party and I noted that Jane spent a good deal of time at that end of the table getting to know her fans and making them feel the way I felt: welcomed. That girl knows her PR and knows the value of being genuine. In a world where too many women take joy in making other women feel inferior, Jane Porter is authentic (and did I mention beautiful?).

I was thrilled to be a part of that evening. I observed something that was a wee bit shocking, but so wonderful to behold. I saw my friend all grown up. In order to understand that last sentence, you need to know that a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away my friend Teri was a stay at home mom (like me).

Unlike me, she didn’t drive. She didn’t have access to any money. Her DH (whom I have come to adore) left her lists of chores. “Oh my word! Someone liberate this woman!”. She was my polar opposite and yet, last night I witnessed a mature, confident, successful woman. I am so proud to call her friend.

The only thing that was a little strange was that several people, Jane included, felt that they knew me. We don’t move in the same circles, in fact these days, I don’t move in any circles.

If they had been homeschool mom’s I would have asked if they’d attended any conferences in the past seven years or so. If that were the case, they may have heard me speak there. Maybe they’d subscribed to my Homeschooling Mommies newsletter. Perhaps they’d purchased books from my little publishing house.

Not these women. They didn’t know me and it was a little eerie that several of them were certain we’d met. Hmmm…

On the drive home Teri and I discussed the evening and agreed that it was indeed wonderful. We chuckled that some claimed to know me. I joked that maybe it’s my twin and I hoped she was nice. Then it occurred to me…If she’s the nice one that means I’m the evil one.

Teri’s laughter assured me that this was most likely the case.

Dang it.

6 comments:

Patti said...

this sounds like a perfect evening...and yes, i agree, you are the evil one. why else do you think i hang around ;)?!

Ice Cream said...

What a dream dinner! And if you are the evil one your twin must be sickeningly perfect, blech!

TexasRed said...

This sounds like a great gathering. What an encouragement!

(When I go to writers' gatherings that sound smaller than this, I go back and forth between being impressed/jealous and being encouraged that if they can do it, I can do it.)

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Wow! It sounds like you had a fabulous evening.

Blessings,
Susan :)

TJ Brown said...

Snicker... that still makes me laugh. I'm so glad you came with me!
Teri

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had fun. You are an awesome writer Ann. I'd buy anything you'd write.

Wen