Thursday, July 24, 2008

Mid-Life Crisis?

Forty, its middle age, isn’t it? That’s what I’ve been told anyway. The funny thing is I don’t feel middle age. I feel, well, if I may be so bold, I feel young or at least youngish.

I’ve never been bothered by gray hair. Those started appearing at the ripe ole age of twenty-two. My father, much like the father in the movie My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding, sighs and says things like,

“Whatever happened to that nice red color you use to dye your hair? That looked nice.”

On the other side of the monkey bars, I mean family tree, I have a sister-in-law (and her brood) who love to tease me about my gray. They always comment on it and tell me I should dye it. It’s even been suggested that I look, “old” with my streaks of gray.

Then there’s a certain friend and her family who, when we seem them, never fails to point out my graying head. Sigh.

Then there are the wrinkles. Those pesky, tell-tale lines that first appeared on my forehead and now are beginning to deepen around my eyes, they don’t bother me a bit. Thankfully, I’m not a smoker so I don’t have smoker lines around my mouth. I think, for the most part, that I’m aging fairly well. Even better, really, since I’ve started taking better care of myself.

But those words middle age mock me. I despise them. I’m not afraid of death. Well, I’m not afraid to die, I am rather afraid to suffer, however. For the Christian, death is nothing more than the next step into eternity. Yet, the word middle reminds me that there may come a time when I’ll be at the end, which translates (hopefully) OLD.

Am I having a mid-life crisis?

2 comments:

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

There are two ways of looking at aging. 1) We can convince ourselves we are old and can't do anything or 2) We can realize we're gaining wisdom, life experience and use it to our full advantage.

My mother says she feels the same on the inside as she did when she was a teenager. Our bodies may grow old, but our spirits do not...unless we believe the lie. Isaiah tells us that those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings as eagles. They shall run and not be weary. They shall walk and not faint.

Now, what did I do with that bottle of Ibuprophen?

BTW, I have no problem painting the ol' barn every now and then.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Kiva said...

40? Hey, didn't you know that's the new 20? But at 40 you at least have common sense. The life expectancy for women is getting better and better. Besides it's not the years, it's the mental attitude. I'm a grandma and I can ran after my grandkids all day, as opposed to their parents who poop out in the afternoon!