Saturday, July 26, 2008

Mama Mia: Was this film Bad!



Last night Writer Girl and BFF Teri (click here to read what she thought) invited me to go see Mama Mia. The reviews of this flick told me it was horrible, but horrid in a kinda sweet way.

The story (which apparently is a WELL KNOWN Broadway play that first opened in London in 1999 and hasn’t stopped running since – who knew?) is about Sophia who longs to know who her father is. She’s been raised on a beautiful Greek island by her ex-singer and hippy mother. When Sophia finds Donna’s (Meryl Streep)diary she discovers that one of three men may be her father. Since she’s getting married, she sends each prospective father an invitation…from her mother. The men arrive, mayhem abounds with lots of singing and dancing.

One review said:

“Yet let's give "Mamma Mia!" credit: It's bad in so many ways, yet you can't say that these ladies lack spunk. Their what-the-hell moxie lights up the first girl-power musical to target girls over 50. (And just wait until Pierce Brosnan warbles "S.O.S." You'll laugh. And then you'll be charmed.)”

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/18/ew.review.mammamia/index.html

Frankly, I wasn’t charmed. I thought it was stupid. Stupid on so many fronts that I don’t think I have enough space on this blog to go into it. I admit, I laughed. There were a few scenes that made me laugh out loud, along with the other women sitting around us. The ABBA sound track reminded me that I use to like some of that music. I mean really, who didn’t dance around their bedroom to Dancing Queen?

However, I have been damaged beyond repair. Really.



Pierce Brosnan cannot in any way, shape, or form sing (and yes Teri I get it that he was soooo bad that they made that a part of his character).



Colin Firth (sweet, shy, wonderful Mr. Darcy!!!!) turns out to be gay.

I may never recover...



Watching Meryl Streep, Julie Waters and Christine Baranski act like complete idiots made me want to throw my popcorn at the screen., except I didn’t have any popcorn.

The best thing about last night was spending time with MY bff and laughing. That is always a good thing.

No comments: