Monday, August 21, 2006

One Week and Counting

Tomorrow, Tuesday, Mr. J will be gone one week.

Since his departure I have defrosted the freezer, totally over-hauled the laundry room, re-arranged the plastics cupboard, and baked cookies (on top of everything else, of course). So, we and Miss C have kept busy, which is good.

However, I have noticed some very interesting things since Mr. J's departure:

We still have cereal and milk left. They were purchased last week.

I haven't had to refill the hand soap dispenser - which leads me to believe the rest of us must not be very hygienic!

There seem to be more clean towels and less dirty towels - see note above.

I have yet to step on or vacuum up a single air-soft BB.

We haven't eaten pizza once in the past week.

Miss C takes her shower whenever she feels like it.

I'm home more.

All of these are very interesting and it does explain some of the issue we deal with on a regular basis. I must admit there is something kind of nice about all this. I've got less laundry to do and pizza hates me anyway. But I must admit that I have noticed some "not so nice" effects with Mr J's absence.

It is quiet here...too quiet.

I do not have a cheerful child to wake up to in the morning (Miss C, I do love her but, is a MONSTER in the morning).

The morning paper isn't laying on the table waiting for me.

The phone doesn't ring as much.

The 50 lb bags of chicken feed do NOT automatically arrive in the barn loft by themselves.

The silence is starting to get on my nerves.

I haven't heard one lame joke all week.

The local Starbucks called to see if I was okay. Since I'm not driving Mr J around, I haven't been dropping in to get a coffee as often.

Girls do not make as much noise as boys.

Miss C has no one to fight with and thus has waged war on the cat, Dingo.

One more week and I'll be standing at the airport, tissue in hand. When he left I spared him my emotional melodrama. But if that boy thinks for one second that I am going to be in control of my emotions and not embarrass him when he gets off that plane, he's got another thing coming. I fully plan on blubbering like an idiot.

2 comments:

TJ Brown said...

Yep. I kept hugging my boy. In fact, I still am.
Teri

chatkat said...

Well I have a lame joke:

Why did the chicken cross the playground?

To get to the other slide!