Monday, July 10, 2006

Hurry Up and Stop

Today is Monday and I am supposed to be working but there are technical difficulties at my employer and thus I am not working and thus I am not getting paid. Sometimes I hate my job. I hate the games and the lies. I hate the fact that every time there is a technical difficultly I end up turning into a conspiracy theorist, thinking they have it in for me.

All I want is to work my little shift and earn my little wage. That's it. They don't have to say thank you or acknowledge me in any way, other than that little paycheck at the end of two weeks.

Working from home has a lot of advantages. It allows me to be home with the children, manage my own schedule, and I can work in my pajamas if I like! However, working from home can also be stressful in new and creative ways.

Others do not always understand that I do have to keep a schedule. That I cannot simply blow off work and go play. Because I work from home I must have my home phone line free. After six months, some people continue to call my home number during business hours and are surprised when I do not answer their calls. Or worse yet, when I answer and inform them that I cannot talk because I am WORKING!

Working from home also allows one to SEE how messy the house is. So while I am sitting here working, I am also thinking about dishes that need washings, floors that need sweeping, and what on earth are we having for dinner!

I have also found that the children are not as concerned about their schedules, since I cannot constantly remind them that they have this, that, or the other to do. One would think that because both of them are in their teens, they would manage their time better. This is not always the case.

This is my life in the fast lane..It's hurry up...And stop!

1 comment:

Helen said...

I hear you. Right now, I'm working whenever I sit down to nurse the baby. I set up a laptop on a portable desk and can type pretty well, but it means I only get to work in 20-30 minute blocks of time. Thankfully, both kids take good long naps, and I can squeeze in two hours of work then too (unless I crash myself).