Sunday, March 22, 2020

Gin and Quarantine

Like so many other people in the world, I begin working from home tomorrow. Covid-19 is racing across the globe, shutting down entire countries as mankind attempts to slow down the spread. The quarantine has had an interesting affect on my community.

I walked to the store today, instead of driving. The sunny weather and 60 degree temperature wooed me onto the street. I passed families riding their bikes, dad's walking with their toddlers and runners keeping a swift pace. There were smiles and nods. Even the usually sullen teenager skateboarders seemed less moody.

Could it be that the forced close habituation of families has started to rebuild the decaying of relationships between generations? Is it boredom that drives them from their homes on this sunny day or is there something more?

I don't know the answer and it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Will mankind continue to be kind to each other or will we turn on our fellow man has times grow darker?

Time will tell.

For now, I'm thankful for the sense of community I see and the kindness of strangers to each other. I'm thankful that I do not fear the future, because I know God holds it in His hands. I'm thankful for sunny days, blooming flowers and good friends. I'm thankful for gin mixed with lime on peaceful spring evening.

What are you thankful for?

No comments: