Tuesday, August 27, 2013

They Grow Up so Quickly

Last week, Girl and I attended orientation at her chosen university. I'm so proud of her. She received the Founders Scholarship - which is nearly a full ride scholarship to this private school. It was interesting to see all the pomp and circumstance of the welcoming ceremony. I admit that I was giddy as I watched her sign the book, shake the president's hand, and ring the bell - something she will do again when she graduates in a couple of years. 

The only thing larger than the Cedar trees surrounding us, were the egos of the professors. I couldn't help but smile inside as I recalled Solomon's words from Ecclesiastes 1:16-17

 I said to myself, “Look, I have increased in wisdom more than anyone who has ruled over Jerusalem before me; I have experienced much of wisdom and knowledge.” 17 Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind.

Not that I would deduct from my daughter's accomplishments, it's only the foolishness and egotistical statements of the staff, that made me smile.

My Girl is well grounded and knows what she believes. I have no fear of her being swayed by the "wisdom" of some liberal, narrow minded, wacko professor. I know these next two years will be filled with new adventures and new friends. I'm glad for her!

Writing a letter to herself, to be opened at graduation.

Last Saturday, my close friend's son got married. How he is actually old enough to marry is beyond my understanding. It was very moving to see my Boy and her boy together. I could not help but think back over twenty years to the little boys they once were. Surely these two young men are not the same two boys who played and wrestled and fought?

Boy ties friend's tie before wedding.



And then yesterday I remembered that October 5th it will be one year from the first time we laid eyes on KK and Hay-Hay. How our lives have changed since then! Certainly, there has been a lot of laughter, a few tears, and yes, a few terse moments as well. If these next few years fly by as quickly as these last few months...well...I suppose I will look back and marvel at the changes that have been wrought. 

The most important thing to remember is that the drama of today, may very well be the funny story of tomorrow.

One day and a time.

One foot in front of the other.

Eyes heavenward.

Feet firmly planted.





No comments: