Wednesday, April 21, 2010

They're Happier There Today

Ahh life, with it's powerful fast ball shots, freakin' hair pulling stress, roller coaster emotional highway. Good times people. Good times.

Or not.

I've decided that I don't want to be an adult anymore. This will come as a great shock to my children. Sorry kids.

Life was so much easier when my biggest problem was what to wear to school and if I should date boy A, B, or C. Although, I have to admit that at the time it wasn't exactly a "stress free zone". Trivial little things cropped up and seemingly made my life difficult. Like the fact that I didn't have a drivers license. Or that pesky math test that nearly kept me from graduating.

However, from my point of view at forty-two (rhyme - snicker) life at sixteen was waayyy less complicated.

Way less.

FIL will be coming home today.

Yippee.

We have done everything possible to make his return home easier. This involved HOURS of work, driving, and money spent. It also included some pretty harsh words from yours truly about the way he keeps house, or the lack thereof.

As Beloved and I drove home from yet another task for FIL, I looked at Beloved and said, "Do you remember that song, The Way? You know, the one about two people just walking away from it all? I think that should be our theme song."

Take this as a warning, ya'll who think we will be here to handle every.single.crisis. that crops up from now until eternity. I have a limit. I'm drawing a line in the sand. Cross it...and I'm outta here!

The Way


They made up their minds
And they started packing
They left before the sun came up that day
An exit to eternal summer slacking
But where were they going Without ever knowing the way?

They drank up the wine
And they got to talking
They now had more important things to say
And when the car broke down They started walking
Where were they going without ever knowing the way?

CHORUS:

Anyone could see The road that they walk on is paved in gold
And It's always summer, they'll never get cold
They'll Never get hungry
They'll never get old and gray
You can see their shadows Wandering off somewhere
They won't make it home
But they really don't care
They wanted the highway
They're happier there today , today

The children woke up
And they couldn't find 'em
They Left before the sun came up that day
They just drove off
And left it all behind 'em
But Where were they going Without ever knowing the way?

Anyone could see The road that they walk on is paved in gold
And It's always summer, they'll never get cold
They'll Never get hungry
They'll never get old and gray
You can see their shadows Wandering off somewhere
They Won't make it home
But they really don't care
They wanted the highway
They're happy there today , today (repeat)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have me giggling. During one of my not so lovely and very recent moments I jimmy'ed the lock on the bathroom door and busted in on my man doing his "business". I greeted his stunned look with this announcement- "One day you are going to come home and I am not going to be here. I mean it! I am not going to be found." (I was so irritated with our darling, and very hormonal, daughter at that time.) *head hung in shame*