Friday, January 01, 2010

Simply For Review

I've been a bad blogger for the better part of six months. I don't really know why. Sure, I've been busy with work and family, but that usually doesn't slow me down too much. Maybe I've been wrestling with writers block. Perhaps I've wondered why anyone would read this dribble. There's always the amount of time I have spent on Facebook that could help to explain my being MIA.

More than likely it's a combination of all the above.

And here it is New Years day. The year of our Lord, two-thousand and ten. Crazy.

This year I watched my children grow and expand their horizons. I noted, when looking at Boy's senior picture, how much he's changed since he left home. Amazing.

Boy, who is standing behind me, reading over my shoulder, said to tell you that he is "hotter"...

ahem...

Boy has recovered from Mono and bankrupted us by enrolling in school. As I write this he is packing his things, preparing to return to the round house he shares with his roomies. It occurred to me that we may not see him until spring. Then I realized he only lives an hour from here! Duh!

Then there's my Girl. Seventeen, holder of a drivers permit, looks beautiful in a formal, finally understands Algebra, and so content.

She is not here to tell you that she is hotter than two years ago. She wouldn't anyway. She's not the way!

Last night, New Years Eve, Girl and I lay in bed and read Shel Siverstein poems. It struck me that this is a year of big changes for my little girl. She'll graduate from high school. She'll turn eighteen. The world will be her oyster...cept she doesn't like oysters!

One big dream she has is to have Soldier Mommy at her graduation tea. It's a dream I hope will come true.

The rest of the family has grown up too and I so enjoyed some of the cousins being here in August.



It was a year of the visiting friends. Two girlies who make my heart sing. They have both experienced such brutal heartbreak this year that sometimes I wonder how they manage to breath in and out, in and out, in and out.






Of course the Writer was still around, only less frequently because she's a working fool and has little to no time for anything!

My Omi died. Ya'll remember that sad tale from September.

I learned that every single member of my parents family are back stabbing, lying, hurtful individuals, whose company I can afford to live without.

Then God showed me that my family are those they he has brought into my life. Ladies like these below, who accept me for the Idiot Girl that I am.




Girl has good friends too!



And so does Boy!




Beloved is still my Beloved. After twenty-two years he still puts chains on the car and drives out in the nasty, snowy weather to rescue his idiot wife who got stuck on a hill. I promised him that I will never drive in the snow, ever, ever again! Beloved puts up with my ranting and crying and silly talk. He's a keeper I tell ya.

All in all, it's been a good year for friends and cooking and laughing. I'm a blessed Idiot Girl to have all these wonderful people in my life and even though 2009was hard in so many ways, I still think it was a good year.

4 comments:

Darrell Michaels said...

Sounds to me like you are indeed blessed and have figured out to avoid those, even family, that do not have your best interests at heart. Best wishes and prayers for you and your family in 2010, my friend!

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Happy New Year, Annie. May your heartaches pale in comparison to your joys during 2010.

Blessings,
Susan :)

tootie said...

What a perfect New Year's Eve! I love Shel Silverstein poems.

I wish you all the best in 2010!!

Barrie said...

Happy New Year, Annie! Wishing a most wonderful 2010! And, hey, my oldest has mono (diagnosed last week). How long can I expect him to be down and out for the count?