Sunday, September 13, 2009

Book Review: North! Or Be Eaten

Wild escapes…

A desperate journey…

And the ghastly Fangs of Dang!


Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you:




North! Or Be Eaten!
Written by Andrew Peterson


Each morning, just after the dawn had broken, you would find my two children curled up on the sofa, huddled in their blankets…waiting in eager anticipation. You see, nearly every morning during the week, before breakfast, before school, before chores, I read to them.

I read them ancient lit. They cut their teeth on classic works. Between us, we devoured good books, left and right. And now I sit here sorrowful. For you see, I’ve found a book that would have certainly become a family favorite.

North! Or Be Eaten!


So, What’s This All About?

Janner, Tink, and Leeli Igiby thought they were normal children with normal lives and a normal past. But now they know they’re really the Lost Jewels of Anniera, heirs to a legendary kingdom across the sea, and suddenly everyone wants to kill them.

Their escape brings readers to the very brink of Fingap Falls, over the Stony Mountains, and across the Ice Prairies, while villains galore try to stop the Igibys permanently. Fearsome toothy cows and horned hounds return, along with new dangers: a mad man running a fork factory, a den of rockroaches, and majestic talking sea dragons.

What I Love About this Book

It began as a simple, fun story. Janner, Tink, and Leeli; running from toothy cows, hiding from the evil Fangs of Dang, keeping up with their school work… But then, then it became something more. Rich characters, such as grandfather Podo, began to emerge. The landscape changed and I could smell the despair of Dugtown, and the terror of the Fork Factory.

Then the author, Andrew Peterson, twisted the plot...and I wondered if all had been lost for Anniera and it's heirs.

This is a GRAND book that will leave your children begging, yes begging, for another chapter.

And that my friend is the earmark of a wonderful piece of children’s literature.

Anything I Didn’t Like?

Honestly, not really. Sure there were some escapes that seemed impractical, but isn’t that the beauty of fiction? The impossible being possible? The hero becoming larger than life?

Who Is This Guy Anyway?





Andrew Peterson is the author of On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness, Book One in the Wingfeather Saga, and The Ballad of Matthew’s Begats. He’s also the critically-acclaimed singer-songwriter and recording artist of ten albums, including Resurrection Letters II. He and his wife, Jamie, live with their two sons and one daughter in a little house they call The Warren near Nashville, Tennessee.

Visit Andrew’s website HERE

I really enjoyed North! Or Be Eaten. I am only saddened that I have no elementary age children to share this fun story with.

I hope you do.

No comments: