Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Summer of Cake

My bloggy pal, Patti from Welcome to the Patti-o is celebrating the summer of cake. This also happens to be the year of strength.

Patti’s just funny that way.

I’ve been reading Patti’s stuff for some time now and I know that many of you do as well. It’s becoming a dream of mine to travel to Texas (I know…Texas!) and meet this crazy, marathon running, former homeschooling, mixer of fruity umbrella drinks, conservative political writer, in person.

If I do ever get down her way…just you watch out. There’s sure to be a good time had by all. Aside from dipping my tootsies in her tiny pool (because I’d be melting in the Texas heat), we’d bake. We couldn’t go for a run because I could never NEVER never keep up with her. She ran the big one baby and my injured water buffalo gait will never do. No sirree.

Anyway, my point (yes I do to have one!), is that it is the summer of cake and I want to send Patti my very favorite chocolate-mocha cake recipe. It’s to die for. It’s so good it doesn’t even need frosting. Yes. It. Is. That. Good.

The ONLY Chocolate Cake You'll Ever Need

1 3/4 cups flour
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 cup sour milk (1 cup milk + 1 tablespoon white vinegar; let set for five minutes before using)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs (or 3 medium)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup freshly brewed, hot coffee

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 8-inch rounds. Make your sour milk and remember to let it set for five minutes before using.

Blend together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

In a separate bowl combine sour milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Using an electric mixer slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. Now add the coffee and stir just until combined.

Pour batter into the prepared pans and bake for 35-40 minutes.

Mocha Frosting

6 ounces good semi-sweet chocolate (do not use chocolate chips!)
2 sticks butter
1 large egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1 T. instant Folgers coffee powder

Chop the chocolate and melt in a double-boiler (or use a metal bowl over pot of boiling water). Stir until melted then allow to cool to room temperature.

Beat the butter until light and fluffy (3 minutes or so). Add the egg yolk and vanilla and beat another 3 minutes on medium speed. Slowly add the sifted confectioners' sugar. Dissolve the coffee powder in 2 tablespoons of the hottest tap water. On low speed, add the melted chocolate and the coffee to the butter mixture until blended. DO NOT OVERMIX OR WHIP.

Now frost that cake and dig in.

And don’t forget a big glass of milk!

I’ll do my best to post pictures of this lovely, delicious, moist cake later this week. For now, I’ve got to go for a run! I think I just gained weight posting this recipe!

And if you are all very good children, perhaps I’ll post my Banana Whipped Cream cake recipe. The one I make for Beloved’s birthday every year. The one I make ONCE a year. It’s the cake that makes my Beloved look at me with misty eyes and declare me his queen, between mouthfuls of yummy goodness, that is.

Great cake will do that to a man.

2 comments:

Patti said...

holy smokes!! i am so making this. and of course will post results of such.

and come on to texas. we would have fun AND run(i am slow....no worries) AND drink(!) AND tiny pool it. ahhhh, just think of it.

now on to The Summer of Cake! (i wonder if we could get others to participate and post there yummies?!)

Kristen said...

So when are you making this queenly cake for me?