Monday, May 11, 2009

Hunger

I was going to write some little blurb about my wonderful mother's day. I have great kids. Great. Kids. But something happened to me today and I want to jot something down before I forget. Not that I ever could.

I met a man today who lost his job seven months ago. He's on the verge of being homeless. He was crying.

Being the emotional boob that I am, it was difficult to keep the tears that kept brimming my eyes from spilling down my face.

His embarrassment at finding himself in this situation poured out of him and filled the room with a sadness too deep to describe. It stifled me and the pity I felt for him threatened to choke me.

I tried to reassure him, when he sudden looked so stricken that I worried that I had something wrong. He looked at me, with those sad, brown eyes and said, "I'm sorry, but I'm so hungry..." He offered me his cell phone if I would give him something to eat.

I located what I could, a few curves bars, almonds, bottle of water and felt foolish for not realizing that the poor man was hungry (and no I did not take his phone). By the time he left, he'd eaten every scrap that I'd given him.

Tonight, my Beloved and I will drive over to this man's house and take him some food. I hope that we'll be able to offer him some of the hope he's lost. This man isn't a bum. He doesn't appear to have a drug problem. He's man down on his luck, out of time, and sinking fast.

His face reminds me of pictures I've seen of the Great Depression, void of hope and despair filling every pore. I cannot help but wonder who among us may be next.

4 comments:

Sandcastle Momma said...

It sounds as if God sent this man an angel - you. It's really scary to think of how close we all are from that man's situation. I'm glad he found you.

Patti said...

this is haunting. i feel you fed him in more than one way.

Patti said...

why was he at the gym?!

GreenishLady said...

That is so, so sad. And I'm so glad he found you. Yes, you are his angel. This really puts my "problems" into perspective for me.