Thursday, September 07, 2006

Piano Music for Two

Three years ago our Miss C began piano lessons. It took awhile but MAN CAN SHE PLAY! I love to listen to her. There is one song that simply makes me sigh. It is called, "My Father's Favorite", but we have dubbed it, "My Mothers Favorite". Miss C is becoming accomplished. Wow!

Today, our Mr J begins his piano lessons. Yes, he's a bit long in the tooth at 16 to be just beginning, but he wants to try. He plays the guitar and will continue to study that too. I'm starting to wonder if we are becoming one of those over-achiever type home school families...

NAH!

That could never happen to us. I am far to laid back to over achieve at anything. In fact I have a story that proves it could never happen to us. I had a Martha Stewart acquaintance ask me once if I noticed anything wrong with the curtains she had just made. I really couldn't see a thing wrong, but I knew there was something askew or she wouldn't have asked me.

It was a trap, of course I knew that, but I already had my foot on the trigger and if I could simply find one flaw I would be able to walk away with my foot and dignity in one piece. So (and to this day I don't know why I said this), I commented on the fact that the window treatment didn't match her bed set.

SNAP! The trap closed and I found myself clenched in the strong arms of perfection!

In her superior, sarcastic way, she coldly replied that there was a 1/2 inch difference between the two curtains and she simply wanted to see if anyone would notice...

After I finished serving my jail term for man slaughter, I resumed homeschooling my children and never visited Mrs "I wanna be just like Martha Stewart" house again.

Just because a kid plays two musical instruments does not mean that they are over-achievers. It simply means that his parents found affordable instructors (one's free!) and having nothing better to do than to drive their children around to lessons.

I could careless about perfection. A house should be lived in, not spotless, or filthy. Children should be free to explore new possibilities, without worrying about what others might think. If you sew curtains and they are 1/2 an inch shorter on one side seam than the other, you shouldn't set someone up to see if they can tell the difference! Holy Cow!

Hi ho, Hi ho, it's off to piano lessons we go!

No comments: