Tuesday, August 29, 2006


Today is the day!

Mr. J arrives home in 6 hours! Yes, it's 5:30am and I'm wide awake. Yes, we have decorated the house with streamers. Yes, we are having Mr. J's favorite dinner tonight! Yes, I AM SO EXCITED!

Two weeks is a long time when you are use to being around someone 24/7. I think that is part of what has made this trip so hard for me. Being home educators, we spend a lot of time together. Mr. J has a social life, takes classes, etc., but for the most part, we as a family, are together. So, having him gone for two weeks, not even talking to him once has been difficult.

And it isn't just me...

Last Tuesday, hubby finally lamented, "You would think he'd call or something!"

HA! Yeah, you'd think!

To rub a bit of salt in the wound, we got a call from one of the other families asking if we had heard from Mr. J. "Well, no. As a matter of fact, we haven't." She then proceeded to inform us that they were all safe, back in Prague, and tired. "They'd had a good week working at the camp," she said.

Happy to hear this bit of news, we headed out the door to a concert, only to be hit with another bit o' news there. Seems like several of the team managed to get word home to their parents. It seems that several called home or emailed. Others managed to phone home, why not Mr. J??

One friend laughed at me and told me her 19-year-old married daughter NEVER calls her. Well, sure, I thought. She's an old married woman. There is a difference. My son is sixteen and I can still ground him!

I don't think a phone call or an email was too much to ask. I did my part at the airport. No weeping or blubbering in front of the team. I spared him that emotional moment at security when I noticed that he was starting to get emotional. Maybe it wasn't the right thing to do. Perhaps he wanted me to stand there and tear up and wave - like my father does...

So, here I sit. Five, flippin' thirty in the morning, wondering. Will he be happy to see me? Will he act indifferent in front of the others on the team? How will I get through the next six hours? And why is the hubby still snoring in bed? How can he sleep at a time like this?

No comments: